Thursday, January 3, 2008

Tamara De Lempicka



Painter Tamara De Lempicka (1898-1980) is sort of a cult-y artist in the way Frida Kahlo is (both were amazing painters, had wildly fascinating lives, and striking personal style) and I find that when that happens to an artist it takes some of the shine off of them for me. It shouldn't...as I found when I saw a room full of Van Gogh's in Paris. How sick of "Starry Night" are you after seeing it on a million calendars, coffee mugs, and mousepads? But when you see it in real life, then it is a whole other story. Anyway- I loved Tamara De Lemicka when I first found out about her but haven't looked at her much lately. I like these two paintings in particular, "Woman in Blue" above, and "Amethyst" below. I love how they have an almost futuristic air about them.