Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Juxtapoz Museum Show/ Todd Schorr

I've been interviewed many times and I always get asked the same questions- mostly "what got you into this style of art?", meaning Lowbrow/Pop Surrealism. I always mention how I was turned on to it by picking up Juxtapoz magazine. For many years the magazine was almost indescribably important to me, and many other dealers, artists, and art fans. The magazine has changed it's format over the last few years, and while I hear its financially doing better than ever, it has left behind the elements that made it so important for so many people back in the "good old days". Change is inevitable, but it's still a little sad for people like me, because we no longer feel it's "our" magazine, in the way we used to. I suppose it has importance to a younger, more street art oriented group now. Anyway- a museum exhibition based on that "Juxtapoz aesthetic" that you probably already know about opened in Laguna Museum the other day, and frankly, it looks fantastic. I was planning on going but obviously I had other more pressing matters to attend to. I'm sorry I missed it! Jamie at Supertouch was the editor at Jux for 10 years, and he has a good photo recap on his site. One of the stars of the show (besides Ryden's "Creatrix"),the giant mouthwatering Todd Schorr ode to King Kong. I think Todd is one of the greatest of the Pop Surrealist artists, no question. If I ever win the lottery, first order of business is getting a huge Schorr painting.


oh muh gawd.


Dinosaurs and giant apes, two great tastes that taste great together. Put your art snobbery aside and just give into the awesome.


images by Sketchypad's Flickr, yoinked off Supertouch