Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Max Klinger

Another one of those Symbolist artists I harp on and on about, is Max Klinger (1857-1920)(No, not him.)
Klinger was a German artist skilled in various media, mainly etching, painting, and sculpture.
Klinger "was cited by many artists (notably Giorgio de Chirico) as being a major link between the Symbolist movement of the 19th century and the start of the metaphysical and Surrealist movements of the 20th century."
What I find compelling about his work is the overall sheer weirdness of his imagery- mainly in his etchings. They have a formalness to them that is at odds with the chaotic, morbid dream imagery happening within. I get a strange sort of gut dropping feeling from them, like seeing a fight on a street, the moment just before you suddenly realize what you are seeing...like he's tapped into something I'd rather not know about.


What on earth is going on here? I dont know, but I like it!

"The Dead Mother" Oh dear.


"The Plague" Pretty straightforward for Klinger, actually.