Monday, August 4, 2008

Deang Buasan


click to enlarge!

I was scrolling through a Thai art blog when I saw this image by Thai painter and sculptor Deang Buasan. Unfortunately I couldn't find out too much about him via a quick google- other than his work is A. gorgeous and B. very melancholy (his work seems to reference things like the drowning death of his brother and the sadness of homeless street kids).
The Dalihouse art blog had a very interesting write up about the painting, comparing it to the works of legendary illustrator Edmund Dulac. Which is interesting to me as I often get Dulac and Arthur Rackham mixed up, and I always thought that contemporary illustrator James Jean had elements that reminded me of Rackham, and when I first saw this Buasan piece I wondered if it was by Jean until I found out who the artist was.