Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Croched Coral Reef



Wow- I find this to be completely amazing and wonderful...a croched coral reef! Curated by Margaret and Christine Wertheim, the show is currently at Track 16 gallery in LA. I'm really bummed I can't see this in person. Wouldn't it be great to have a room in your house that looked like this?
Press release here, amazing images here.

Spotted first on Daily Du Jour, from whom I also shamelessly yoinked the image from.

It reminds me a bit of the work of Mandy Greer- whom I wrote about in the current issue of Hi Fructose. Mandy also works with flora and fauna imagery- but her work is less "environmental" and more about evoking a poetic examination of life with archetypal and fairytale imagery.



from her installation "Dare Alla Luce"

adorable franken-owl sentry sitting on a crystal star from "Dare Alla Luce"


Mandy also does amazing costume work...this is a banana slug queen.